The Challenges of Scraping Modern Ecommerce Sites
In my decade of experience, ecommerce sites have rapidly increased anti-scraping defenses:
- Over 80% of sites now use rate limiting to detect and block scrapers through their requests frequency, IP address, and more.
- 75%+ implement advanced bot detection and browser fingerprinting, analyzing headers, cookies and other signals to identify scrapers.
- Per Datanyze, over 50% restrict content like pricing and promotions based on visitor geo-location.
These pose major hurdles to continuous price monitoring, preventing scrapers from regularly accessing pages to extract up-to-date pricing. Sit behind the same IP address scraping repeatedly, and you‘ll quickly find yourself blocked from the site.
Why Proxies Are the Solution
Residential and datacenter proxies provide the key capabilities scrapers need to bypass blocks while mimicking real visitors:
IP Rotation – By routing requests through millions of IP addresses, you avoid detection from reusing the same IPs. Scrape thousands of sites without patterns emerging.
Geo-Targeting – Proxies let you access geo-restricted content by routing through IP locations matching the target area.
Residential IPs – These come from real ISP households and businesses, with authentic browser/device data. This helps evade defenses vs datacenter IPs.
Uptime – For monitoring, the proxy network must have minimal downtime. High-grade providers offer 99%+ uptime for continuous scraping.
Capacity – Billions of requests per day across millions of IPs are needed to support monitoring thousands of sites.
Proxy Benefits for Price2Spy‘s Use Case
Price2Spy monitors pricing for over 750 clients across 80+ countries – requiring huge proxy capacity and worldwide residential IPs.
Their proxy service provides:
- 65 million IPs across 195 countries – reaching any geo-restricted site.
- 99.5% success rate for reliable monitoring.
- 99.9% uptime to limit monitoring gaps.
- 3 billion requests/day capacity to handle their large workload.
Where datacenter proxies struggled mimicking real visitors, residential proxies integrated with ISP networks appear like a home or business browsing normally. This avoids blocks for Price2Spy.
With these capabilities, Price2Spy saw major improvements:
- Monitored 25% more sites, previously blocked to them.
- Accessed complex product pages they couldn‘t before.
- Reduced scraping failures by 35%.
Their quote says it all: "With the proxy service, we managed to monitor sites we couldn‘t before, reaching more customers and improving our user experience."
The challenges modern sites impose make proxies virtually mandatory for ecommerce scraping and monitoring today. Their anonymity, geo-targeting, capacity, and residential IPs overcome limitations to extract pricing data from any site.
For any business needing reliable, continuous data from restricted sites, a high-grade proxy solution is absolutely vital, just as Price2Spy discovered. I‘d be happy to further discuss proxy options tailored to your use case and data needs. Please don‘t hesitate to reach out!